About Me

My photo
Sometimes it is of the utmost importance to be completely honest with who you are, be it a psychotic weirdo or a boring bookworm. This is me, being both.

Sunday 28 November 2010

Catullus 72

dicebas quondam solum te nosse Catullum,
say once alone you knew Catullus
Lesbia, nec prae me velle tenere lovem.
Lesbia, nor before me did you want to hold Jupiter.
dilexi tum te non tantum ut vulgus amicam,
I loved then you not so much as common man girlfriend
sed pater ut gnatos diligit et generos.
but father as sons loves and sons in law
nunc te cognovi: quare etsi impensius uror,
now, you understand therefore even if more burn (with love)
multo mi tamen es vilior et levior.
much more to me however you are cheaper and more worthless
qui potis est, inquis? quod amantem iniuria talis
how possible is it, you ask? because lover injury such
cogit amare magis, sed bene velle minus.
forces love more but to like less.

You used to onece say you knew Catullus alone,
Lesbia, nor did you want to hold Jupiter before me

then I loved you not so much as a common man (loves his) girlfriend
but as a father loves his sons and sons in law.
Now I understand you: therefore even if I burn with
love more however you are cheaper and much more worthless to me.
How is it possible, you ask? because such injury
forces a lover to love more, but to like less.

No comments:

Post a Comment